Do not kill Bali bombers: father of Australian victim.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do not kill Bali bombers: father of Australian victim.....

Post  Jennie on Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:57 pm

INDONESIA:

Do not kill Bali bombers: father of Australian victim asks Indonesia

The father of an Australian killed in the 2002 Bali nightclub bombings asked Indonesia not to execute 3 militants convicted in the blasts, saying Friday "no good, only harm" would come from their deaths.

"Nothing will return my son to me, to his mother, his family and his friends," Brian Deegan said in an open letter to Indonesian authorities. "But the execution of a selected few who were responsible for his death and the death and maiming of hundreds more will not cure the pain."

Deegans's son Joshua was one of the 202 people killed in the Oct. 12 blasts on the resort island. Most of the victims were foreign tourists. Authorities have convicted more than 30 Islamic militants in the blasts, three of whom are on death row.

On Thursday, an Indonesian court said it had rejected a final appeal by the trio, bringing their executions closer. The three can still appeal for clemency to the president, but have said they will not do so.

Deegan, a barrister and a magistrate in his native Australia, said he and Joshua were opposed to the death penalty in all cases. His letter was released with his permission by the Anti-Death Penalty Asia Network, a regional group that campaigns against state executions.

He said killing the e men — who have shown no remorse and maintain their acts were sanctioned under Islam as revenge for Muslim deaths in Afghanistan and elsewhere — risked turning them into martyrs.

He urged the death penalty to be commuted to life imprisonment.

"I see that no good will come from their execution. I see only harm," he wrote. "I will not beg for their lives to be spared. But I seek that which I consider more appropriate. A penalty which will serve as a constant reminder to others. A penalty which will not destroy the lives of their families."

The Bali attacks were carried out by members and associates of Jemaah Islamiyah, a local network of mostly Afghan trained militants, with al-Qaida providing money and some expertise, police and former militants have said.

Islamic militants have carried out 3 other major attacks on Western targets in Indonesia since then, the last in 2005, also on Bali, when 3 suicide bombers killed 11 people in restaurant attacks.

The execution of the men could trigger a backlash in Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation, but most analysts expect any reaction to be small and likely be limited to a show of solidarity at their funeral.

Indonesia Muslims are overwhelmingly moderate. While most people disapprove of the U.S.-led invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and Washington's support for Israel, very few support al-Qaida style attacks on civilian targets, at home or abroad.

(source: Associated Press)
Jennie
Admin

Number of posts : 552
View : Anti-Death Penalty
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile http://www.freekenneth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Do not kill Bali bombers: father of Australian victim.....

Post  Jennie on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:23 pm

INDONESIA:

Bali bombers face execution as final appeal dismissed

INDONESIA'S Supreme Court has dismissed the final legal challenge by the death row Bali bombers, clearing the way for their execution.

Islamic militants - Amrozi, his brother Mukhlas and Imam Samudra - had attempted to apply for a 3rd judicial review of their cases in Indonesia's Supreme Court.

But it is understood the Supreme Court has rejected the request.

The Supreme Court sent its decision on the case to Bali's Denpasar District Court yesterday.

Denpasar District Court head Nyoman Gede Wirya said a press conference would be held on the case tomorrow.

"Yes we received it (the decision) yesterday," Wirya told AAP.

"Basically it says that a judicial review can only be submitted once. There is no second or third judicial review."

He declined to elaborate on the contents of the letter.

The three bombers face death by firing squad for their role in the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Indonesian authorities had said they would wait until the legal challenge was resolved before executing the men.

Earlier today, Victorian man David "Spike" Stewart, whose son Anthony was killed in the 2002 Bali blasts, said Australian Federal Police had informed him the executions were "imminent".

And last month, the family of Amrozi and Mukhlas said they had made preparations in case their executions were announced soon.

Attorney General's Office spokesman B D Nainggolan earlier today said the office was yet to receive any notification of a decision by the court.

(source: AAP)
Jennie
Admin

Number of posts : 552
View : Anti-Death Penalty
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile http://www.freekenneth.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top