Christopher Emmett - VA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Christopher Emmett - VA

Post  Jennie on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:17 pm

24th July 2008

9:00 PM EDT
Christopher Emmett is scheduled to be killed by the people of Virginia in revenge for the murder of John Langley.

Read about Christopher here...
Jennie
Admin

Number of posts : 552
View : Anti-Death Penalty
Registration date : 2008-06-17

View user profile http://www.freekenneth.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Christopher Emmett - VA

Post  Jennie on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:37 pm

VIRGINIA----impending execution

Man facing execution seeks new appeal----Lawyers for Emmett, set to die on Thursday, will turn to full 4th Circuit

For the moment at least, a clemency petition before Gov. Timothy M. Kaine is Christopher Scott Emmett's sole hope for escaping execution Thursday.

However, his lawyers plan to ask the full 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to rehear a challenge to the lethal-injection procedures used by Virginia. A panel of that same court turned it down 2-1 earlier this month.

Emmett, 36, is facing execution for the 2001 slaying of John F. Langley, 43, a roofing co-worker beaten to death with a lamp in a Danville motel room.

Emmett alleges that Virginia's lethal-injection procedures could lead to an unconstitutionally cruel and unusual punishment.

On July 10, 2 appeals court judges held that Virginia's procedures were similar to those of Kentucky recently upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. The dissenting judge said there were not enough facts to make such a determination.

The Virginia Capital Representation Resource Center said Friday that it planned to ask the full court of appeals to hear the case.

Emmett won reprieves twice last year just hours before scheduled executions, once from Kaine and once from the U.S. Supreme Court. He will die Thursday shortly after 9 p.m. unless Kaine or the courts step in again.

States that use lethal injection use the same three drugs. Critics of Virginia's procedures say a condemned inmate could be rendered paralyzed by the drugs, but remain conscious, or regain consciousness, while experiencing great pain.

Langley's mother, Elizabeth Majors, does not care if the procedure is painful. She says her son did not have a painless death, and she sees no reason why Emmett should.

"I want to know that he has suffered . . . just like my son suffered when he killed him. That's what I want, I want to know that he gets a little dose of it, too," said Majors, 72, of Gasburg in a recent phone interview.

She said she and her family have suffered because of the two prior executions that were called off. In both cases, family members were on their way to the Greensville Correctional Center to witness the execution.

"I can't take much more of it," she said.

"My son's 2 children are hurting, still hurting today because of it. They get upset every time that thing is canceled. . . . I want to see it done and over with so this family can have some relief," Majors said.

Since the U.S. Supreme Court allowed the death penalty to resume in 1976, Danville has sent at least 8men to death row. 3 of them, Johnny Watkins Jr., Dana Ray Edmonds and Ronald L. Watkins have been executed.

4 other condemned Danville killers, William Ira Saunders, Terry Williams, Calvin Swann and Percy Levar Walton escaped their sentences, either by court action or clemency. Swann, who has since died, and Walton had mental-health problems.

If carried out, Emmett's would be the 102nd execution in Virginia since 1976 and the 4th this year.

(source: Richmond Times-Dispatch)

Execution Set for Thursday

A Virginia inmate who unsuccessfully challenged the state's method of executing prisoners by lethal injection is scheduled to die Thursday for beating a co-worker to death with a brass lamp and stealing his money to buy crack cocaine.

This month, the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Christopher S. Emmett's argument that lethal injection amounts to cruel and unusual punishment because of the possibility that paralyzing and heart-stopping drugs could be administered before a drug that renders someone unconscious takes effect.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in April that the three-drug cocktail used in Kentucky and most other states was constitutional despite a similar claim. On July 10, the 4th Circuit found that Virginia's protocol is similar enough to Kentucky's that it would not cause excruciating pain.

(source: Washington Post)
Jennie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22 pm

Virginia executes man for killing of co-worker
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:52pm EDT Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]
1 of 1Full Size
Related News
Indonesia denies execution of Bali bombers imminent
16 Jul 2008
Texas, Virginia execute convicted killers
10 Jul 2008

powered by SphereWASHINGTON (Reuters) - A man convicted of the fatal beating of a co-worker in 2001 was put to death by lethal injection in Virginia on Thursday, becoming the fourth inmate in the state to be executed this year.

Christopher Emmett, 36, was pronounced dead at 9:07 p.m. EDT at the Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt, Virginia, with relatives of the victim among the witnesses to the execution, a Department of Corrections spokesman said.

Emmett beat co-worker John Langley to death with the base of a brass lamp in a motel room to steal his money to buy crack cocaine, police said.

Emmett was granted two stays of execution last year while the U.S. Supreme Court reviewed the constitutionality of lethal injection as a method of execution.

In April, the court rejected a challenge by two Kentucky death row inmates who argued the lethal three-drug cocktail used in most U.S. executions violated the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment by inflicting needless pain and suffering.

The ruling cleared the way for the resumption of executions that had been on hold since late September when the Supreme Court agreed to decide the Kentucky case.

The court lifted Emmett's stay of execution in May.

Hours before his scheduled execution, Emmett dropped his appeals. Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat, declined to intervene.

It was Virginia's 102nd execution since the state resumed capital punishment in 1982. Virginia ranks second behind Texas for executions since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.
Emmett requested a last meal but asked that the contents not be released.

Department of Corrections spokesman Larry Traylor quoted Emmett as saying in his last statement: "Tell my family and friends I love them. Tell the governor he just lost my vote."

(Editing by Peter Cooney)

(Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2435509120080725?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0)
Jennie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennie on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:26 pm

18th August 1971 - 24th July 2008
R.I.P.
Jennie